effective date: august 10, 2022
The Breasties (“The Breasties,” “we,” or “us”) is the first all-inclusive nonprofit organization that creates an international community for survivors, previvors, thrivers, and carevivors impacted by breast and gynecological cancers. We are on a mission to empower through connection, free events and trusted resources, and to fund cancer research. We do not knowingly attempt to solicit or receive information from children.
This Privacy Statement explains how The Breasties collects, uses, and shares information about you. This Privacy Statement applies when you use our websites, mobile applications, and other online products and services that link to this Privacy Statement, communicate with us, engage with us on social media, or otherwise interact with us (collectively, our “Services”).
We may change this Privacy Statement from time to time. If we make changes, we will notify you by revising the date at the top of this Privacy Statement and, in some cases, we may provide you with additional notice (such as adding a statement to our website or providing you with notification). We encourage you to review this Privacy Statement regularly to stay informed about our information practices and the choices available to you.
COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
information you provide to us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, you share information directly with us when you create an account, fill out a form, submit or post content (including photographs, videos, and voice recordings) through our Services, communicate with us via third-party platforms, apply for a job, participate in a contest or promotion, request customer support, make a donation, or otherwise communicate with us. Additionally, you share information with us when you participate in live events and/or web conferences or subscribe to our publications and/or newsletters.
The types of personal information we may collect include your name, display name, username, email address, business information, your content, including your avatar image, photos, posts, responses, and any other information you choose to provide such as your sexual orientation or meal preferences including any dietary restrictions or requirements. Please note, many of our events, conferences, publications and newsletters are co-sponsored by The Breasties and our trusted partners. This means when you register and/or participate in a co-sponsored offering, you will be providing your information to both The Breasties and the applicable co-sponsor.
In some cases, we may also collect information you provide about others, such as when you share links or posts with others, make a donation in honor or memory of another person, or purchase merchandise as a gift for someone.
information we collect automatically when you interact with us
In some instances, we automatically collect certain information, including:
● Activity Information: We collect information about your activity on our Services, such as your reading history and when you share links, follow users, and comment on posts.
● Transactional Information: When you make a donation or purchase merchandise, we collect information about the transaction, such as subscription details, donation amount, purchase price, and the date of the transaction.
● Device and Usage Information: We collect information about how you access our Services, including data about the device and network you use, such as your hardware model, operating system version, mobile network, IP address, unique device identifiers, browser type, and app version. We also collect information about your activity on our Services, such as access times, pages viewed, links clicked, and the page you visited before navigating to our Services.
information we collect from other sources
We obtain information from other sources. For example, we may collect information about you from our affiliated entities (such as our website or newsletter providers), trusted partners (such as payment processors and merchandise providers), donation sites, internet services, advertising networks, government entities, operating systems and platforms, employment recruiters, personal and professional references, background check providers, social networks and data analytics providers. Additionally, if you create or log into your account through a third-party platform (such as Apple, Facebook, Google, LinkedIn, or Twitter), we will have access to certain information from that platform, such as your name, lists of friends or followers, birthday, and profile picture, in accordance with the authorization procedures determined by such platform.
information we derive
We may derive information or draw inferences about you based on the information we collect. For example, we may make inferences about your location based on your IP address or infer reading preferences based on your reading history.
use of information
Guests of the Site are solely responsible for the content of messages they post on the Company’s forums, such as chat rooms and bulletin boards. Users should be aware that when they voluntarily disclose personal information (e.g., user name, e-mail address, phone number) on the bulletin boards or in the chat areas, that information can be collected and used by others and may result in unsolicited messages from other people. You are responsible for the personal information you choose to submit in these instances. Please take care when using these features. Choice/Opt-Out: The Site may provide you the opportunity to opt-in to receive communications from us at the point where we request information about you. You always have the option of removing your name from any e-mail list in order to discontinue any such future communications. In order to ensure immediate removal from any list, please follow the specific instructions set forth within the communications you receive from the Company which you no longer wish to receive. If you are unsuccessful in completing the instructions specified in any such communication, please e-mail us using the form found here: https://www.TheBreasties.org/contact, including a copy of the undesired email attached to the request, and state you wish to be removed from the mailing list.
sharing of information
We share personal information in the following circumstances or as otherwise described in this Privacy Statement:
● We share personal information with other users of the Services. For example, if you use our Services to publish content, post comments, or send private notes, certain information about you will be visible to others, such as your name, photo, other account information you may provide, and information about your activities on our Services (e.g., recent posts and responses).
● If you submit a product review or post content in another public area of our Services, we share this information publicly on our Services.
● If you choose to use integrations we offer on our Services, such as sharing your location through our Google Maps integration, we may share certain information with the integration partners.
We share personal information with third parties for their own services and marketing purposes, unless you opt out of this type of sharing by [insert opt-out instructions].
We share personal information to employment recruiters, background check providers, personal and professional references and others as appropriate to the employment recruitment, evaluation, and hiring process.
We may disclose personal information if we believe that disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law or legal process, including lawful requests by public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
● We may share personal information if we believe that your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, if we believe that you have violated the law, or if we believe it is necessary to protect the rights, property, and safety of The Breasties, our users, the public, or others.
● We share personal information with our lawyers and other professional advisors where necessary to obtain advice or otherwise protect and manage our business interests.
● We may share personal information in connection with, or during negotiations concerning, any merger, sale of The Breasties’ assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company.
● Personal information is shared between and among our current and future parents, affiliates, and subsidiaries and other entities under common control and ownership.
● We share personal information with your consent or at your direction.
● We also share aggregated or de-identified information that cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
advertising and analytics
We also work with third parties to serve ads to you as part of customized campaigns on third-party platforms (such as Facebook and Instagram). As part of these ad campaigns, we or the third-party platforms may convert information about you, such as your email address and phone number, into a unique value that can be matched with a user account on these platforms to allow us to learn about your interests and serve you advertising that is customized to your interests. Note that the third-party platforms may offer you choices about whether you see these types of customized ads.
California law requires us to let you know how we respond to web browser “Do Not Track” signals. Because there currently is not an industry or legal standard for recognizing or honoring such signals, we do not respond to them at this time.
The security of your personal information is important to us. We follow generally accepted industry standards and have implemented suitable physical, electronic, and administrative procedures to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it, and to guard it from loss, misuse or alteration. Please note that while we take reasonable precautions, no data transmission or use of online platforms is 100% safe.
THIRD-PARTY LINKS, CONTENT, AND EMBEDS
third-party links and content
INFORMATION TRANSFER AND RETENTION
transfer of information to the united states and other countries
The Breasties is headquartered in the United States, and we have operations and service providers in the United States and other countries. Therefore, we and our service providers may transfer your personal information to, or store or access it in, jurisdictions that may not provide levels of data protection that are equivalent to those of your home jurisdiction. The United States has not sought nor received a finding of “adequacy” from the European Union under the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) Article 45. Pursuant to GDPR Article 46, The Breasties is providing for appropriate safeguards by entering binding, standard contractual clauses, enforceable by data subjects in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), Switzerland, and United Kingdom. These clauses have been enhanced based on the guidance of the European Data Protection Board and will be updated when the new draft model clauses are approved. You are entitled to obtain a copy of these standard contractual clauses by submitting your request to [gro.seitsaerbeht%40ycavirp].
retention of personal information
We retain personal information in accordance with applicable law. Unless otherwise required by applicable law, the Breasties will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information we hold if such personal information is no longer needed for the purpose for which it was collected.
You may access, correct, delete, and export your account information at any time by logging into the Services and navigating to the Settings page. If you cannot update your account information, please email us at gro.seitsaerbeht%40olleh to request that we update it for you.
Please note that if you choose to delete your account, we may continue to retain certain information about you as required by law or for our legitimate business purposes including, but not limited to:
● Exercise our legitimate business interests, such as fraud detection and prevention and enhancing safety against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent or illegal activity, and/or to prosecute those responsible for such activity;● Establish, exercise, or defend legal claims, or comply with applicable law;● Perform our contract to which you are a party or in order to take steps at your request prior to entering into a contract;● Perform a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in The Breasties;● Identify, debug, and/or repair errors that impair intended functionality;● Exercise free speech and ensure the right of others to exercise their free speech or another right provided by law;● Complete a transaction and/or provide a good or service requested by you or reasonably anticipated by you within the context of the business relationship, or to otherwise perform the contract;● Protect your vital interests or the vital interests of others; and● As otherwise permitted under applicable law.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually adjust your browser settings to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that removing or rejecting could affect the availability and functionality of our Services
You may opt out of receiving certain communications from us, such as newsletters and activity notifications, by following the instructions in those communications or through your account’s Settings page. If you opt out, we may still send you administrative emails, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
mobile push notifications and alerts
With your consent, we may send push notifications to your mobile device. You can deactivate these messages at any time by changing the settings on your mobile device or by following the instructions provided in our initial text/SMS.
When you first launch The Breasties mobile applications that collect precise location information, you will be asked to consent to the application’s collection of this information. If you initially consent to our collection of this location information, you may subsequently stop the collection of this information at any time by changing the preferences on your mobile device. If you do so, our mobile applications, or certain features thereof, may no longer function properly.
ADDITIONAL DISCLOSURES FOR INDIVIDUALS IN EUROPE
If you are located in the EEA, the United Kingdom, or Switzerland, you have certain rights and protections under applicable law regarding the processing of your personal information, and this section applies to you.
legal basis for processing
When we process your personal information, we will do so in reliance on the following lawful bases:
● To perform our responsibilities under our contract with you (e.g., providing the products and services you requested).
● When we have a legitimate interest in processing your personal information to operate our business or protect our interests (e.g., to provide, maintain, and improve our products and services, conduct data analytics, and communicate with you).
● To comply with our legal obligations (e.g., to maintain a record of your consents and track those who have opted out of non-administrative communications).
● When we have your consent to do so (e.g., when you opt in to receive non-administrative communications from us). When consent is the legal basis for our processing, you may withdraw such consent at any time.
data subject requests
● Subject to certain limitations, you have the right to request access to the personal information we hold about you and to receive your information in a portable format, the right to ask that your personal information be corrected or erased, and the right to object to, or request that we restrict, certain processing. To exercise your rights:
● If you sign up for a Breasties account, you may at any time request an export of your personal information from the Settings page, or by going to Settings and then selecting Account within our app.
You may correct information associated with your account from the Settings page, or by going to Settings and then selecting Account within our app.
● You may withdraw consent by deleting your account at any time through the Settings page, or by going to Settings and then selecting Account within our app (except to the extent we are prevented by law from deleting your information).
● You may object at any time to the use of your personal information by contacting [gro.seitsaerbeht%40ycavirp].
questions, concerns, or complaints
If you have a concern about our processing of personal information that we are not able to resolve, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Authority where you reside. Contact details for your Data Protection Authority can be found using the links below:
● For individuals in the EEA: https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en
● For individuals in the United Kingdom: https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/
● For individuals in Switzerland: https://www.edoeb.admin.ch/edoeb/en/home/the-fdpic/contact.html
If you have any questions about this Privacy Statement or would like to exercise your rights, please contact us at gro.seitsaerbeht%40ycavirp.